Friday 8 January 2016

Happy New Year!

One thing that stood out for me towards the end of 2015 was a greater ability to find balance between planning / dreaming and being present in the moment. 

I have always been a big dreamer with a very well exercised ability to escape into my imagination and spend copious amounts of time in the past or future. But life is better enjoyed in the present.

I should know this, I have a PhD on it! But it always seems easier to do so when we're away from our day-to-day routines - a chilled glass of Pinot Rosé overlooking miles of vineyards or a cocktail by the beach are not the only reason we look forward to a holiday break!

However, the more I thought about how I wanted life to be the more interested I became in enjoying the everyday moments and familiar places. After all, this is where I spend the majority of my time.

But I have never been very good at doing so. Being content at home on the weekends, getting dressed for work every morning, finding the most suitable skincare with minimal chemicals, walking to work, looking at the city from the office window and being grateful for being in such a secure place...all of these were things that I previously either ignored, didn't really take time to appreciate or took for granted.

It may sound a bit of a far-fetched connection for those less familiar with how we accumulate psychological capital from our experiences, but focusing on being a more mindful consumer in 2015 has had an irreversibly positive effect in how I live my everyday life.

Taking time to approach my style and purchases in a thoughtful way requires the kind of dedicated attention that is not fast nor effortless. It demands focus and full engagement with the task at hand. Slowing down is a requirement. Imagination is necessary along the way but only to help create reality, not escape from it.

As I practiced these behaviours in relation to my wardrobe, I noticed their influence on how I approached other matters.

For instance, at some point, I became aware that I could exercise the same thoughtfulness in relation to the content I provide on Instagram. The Fewer, Better attitude that I approached my clothes translated to a challenging, yet enjoyable activity that encourages me to explore ways to do better every time. And in the process, I found myself a creative outlet that has brought me a greater appreciation for my everyday surroundings.

Going forward, I have big plans to maintain these habits and let them continue to take hold of how I approach life in general.

May 2016 be the year when being a mindful consumer means going well beyond deciding what my wardrobe looks like.

What are your plans / dreams for the new year?



No comments:

Post a Comment